Sunday, June 26, 2011

Home Sweet Home! Oh Wait...

Today I drove home (with a lunch break in Chattanooga with my Dad and Mamaw) from Mentone, Alabama where I've been working at Camp Skyline.  For the past month my days have been pretty routine and filled with energetic kids and great community!  It was tons of fun and I learned a lot, but I don't think I've ever been so ready to see my family and my house.  Check back in about 5 months and we'll see about that though... 
While I was at camp, there was another earthquake in Christchurch, which makes it at least the third one in the past year.  After hearing this, my parents decided to give me the option of 1) pulling the plug and calling it quits or 2) switching universities.  Tough choice... Not.  I chose to switch universities.  After lots of emails and phone calls I will now be attending The University of Waikato is Hamilton.  Hamilton is a smaller city on the north island about an hour and a half below Auckland.  Luckily, the flights and everything are still good to go despite the change!  
I've spent the afternoon and night unpacking, washing clothes, and repacking (with the help of my mom).  I am usually a big fan of packing but this is really overwhelming.  5 months, 2 seasons, 2 bags, 1 carry-on, AND a weight limit.  I've got way too many clothes, t-shirts alone, to pick from... such a difficult task. 
Anyways, I'm soaking in the next 30 hours I've got here at home.  Just watching the Braves, eating good food, hanging out with the fam, driving, listening to country radio, and taking advantage of knowing exactly where I am because I'm sure I won't know what the feels like for a while.  

Until then... some camper quotes:
-"Egypt is the capital of Peru"
-"No, Peru is the capital of Egypt!"

-"My grandparents are homemade." (referring to her grandparent's homemade fried okra)

-"Allison, where is my poncho?! It's ok, don't worry, I have an emergency poncho!"

3 comments:

  1. Hey Allison!!
    I hope you have an amazing adventure. Be safe and have an absolute blast.
    All the best,
    Elaina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you, Allison!!! Praying for safe travels and wonderful first impressions! Have so much fun!!!!

    PS Thanks for the letter :-)

    ReplyDelete