Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Is This Real Life?

Along with 60 first year interns, 50-something second year interns, over 100 campus ministers, and other RUF staff, I spent last week at training in Atlanta.  We spent Monday-Friday drinking from a full-blast fire hose aka leaning lots and lots about RUF and PCA history, RUF's Philosophy of Ministry, one-on-ones, evangelism, demographics, and just overall expectations of the internship.  This week of training was loaded with helpful information and I honestly felt like I was at a conference that I had paid to go to.  Sometimes I had to remind myself that this was for my job... how awesome that so many of these sessions were so intriguing that I forgot that it was training for my JOB.  TRAINING.. for my JOB.  I loved getting to hang out with all the other interns and catch up with some 2nd year interns who went to Furman with me.  There was also lots of tennis, ultimate frisbee, late night talks, impromptu dessert runs, and just critical hang out time.

Kelsey, Catherine, and me at the Thursday night cookout


It was also really encouraging to constantly be led back to the Gospel during this week and to be reminded of the fact that God doesn't need me at NC State; He can and will work despite me.  At first, I was slightly insulted and thought -- 'What? Of course God needs me here to help these students hear about all that Jesus has done for us! They NEED me to lead them!' But ohhhh no no no.  Hellooo conviction.  God doesn't NEED me at NC State, but He is going to use me.  The Lord is going to be at work in the hearts of these students and on this campus in so many ways and I'm not a necessary component of that work, there's no question about that, but I'm confident that the Lord has placed me there because He wants to use me in that process, while teaching me more about Himself as well!
Along with ALL of the unknowns that this internship brings along, I think the part that I'm most scared about is that it's going to be different than my experience with RUF at Furman.  But then again, I think that also might be the part that I'm most excited about.  Okay, clearly I'm a little confused here and maybe should gather my thoughts before I publish the mumble jumble on the internet for all to see, but we shall see what my thoughts end up being when I get to campus..... and speaking of getting to campus...

I'm currently at 87% and am moving to Raleigh this Saturday!  Real life?  YES.  Over the past 2 weeks, people (you!) have been SO incredibly and overwhelmingly generous.  The Lord has provided through so many different people and situations and I am so thankful that I will get the opportunity to get to campus before the students get there.  My dad and I will be trekking up and moving all my things into an apartment this Saturday, giving me a week to get acclimated and explore the city that I'll be calling home for at least the next 2 years.  The freshmen move in on Saturday August 11th, so I'll be able to help out with that and then join NC State's RUF ministry/leadership team on their retreat at the beginning of the next week!  

Honestly, there was a point a couple of weeks ago where I found myself thinking -- 'Dang I am so far from 85%.  How the heck is this ever going to get done.  The day will literally never come.'  Then a few days later, the Lord responded by using a few generous people to tell me that He was in control, sovereign, powerful, creative, and always working, never ever ever forgetting about His children.  Friends, we have a God who loves and provides no matter how small our trust is.  How awesome that He desires us and desires to pull us closer to Him and use so many different situations to help us learn more about the power of His love!  So there ya have it... and my next update will be from Raleigh!  Thank you SO SO SO much for all of the support and the prayers!  

This girl was a major reason why I'm doing this internship! SO thankful for you Catherine!

Ways you can pray:
-For my dad and I as we make the drive up to Raleigh and get my stuff settled in... That the Lord would prepare my heart, mind, and emotions for all that comes along with moving to a new city and starting life in Raleigh.
-For the freshman who are moving in August 11th... That they would feel welcomed and wanted as they are entering this new environment.
-For my fellow interns (check out their blogs by clicking on the links on the right side bar)... All 60+ of us are in so many different places right now, moving to campus and raising support.  Pray that we would each be fully invested in whatever point we're at with the internship, that we would put our trust in the Lord, and that those who are not at campus yet would be quickly led to people to partner with them in this ministry.  
-For RUF at NC State... That students' hearts, eyes, ears, and minds would be open and that Chuck, Ian, and I would be in this for Jesus and not ourselves.  Pray that I would be reminded every single day that God's forgiveness and love are directly proportional, and also that my sin and brokenness doesn't destroy me, but actually enables me to see the sweet love of Jesus more and more.


Thank you again, SO MUCH, for your prayers, support, and willingness to keep up with what all is going on!  


 

Feel free to contact me at allison.henley@ruf.org or 770-548-0124






No comments:

Post a Comment