Friday, August 31, 2012

We're in Full Swing!


After about a month of being in Raleigh, things with RUF are in full swing!

What's been going on so far:
Through large group meetings, freshman bible study, ministry team meetings, staff meetings, Friday girls’ lunch, coffee dates, lunch dates, rollerblading outings, and planning upcoming events I think I’m starting to get the hang of intern life... actually I probably don't have the hang of it, just wishful thinking.  At NC State, we have large group every Tuesday night.  This time of worship is filled with music and a message from Chuck (this semester he is preaching on relationships).  Large group has always been my favorite part of RUF and I’ve found myself forgetting I’m an intern and feeling like a student while I’m there listening!  It was awesome to see about 110-120 students come out.  Although Tuesday nights are pretty draining for my introverted self, I find it to be the day that I look forward to most. 

Leslie, Elisha, and I doing some blading

a slightly awkward picture of Friday girls' lunch
TWINTERNS! Ian (co-intern) and I accidentally matched at the first Large Group. I loved it but I think he hated it.

I’ve been getting to know freshmen girls through different RUF events and through other people.  Some have agreed to meet with me and others have been kind of reluctant.  There are some girls who understand my role as an intern with RUF and then there are others who are a bit skeptical or just uninformed.  For example, in one conversation this week a girl said to me... "so are you a junior or a senior?" umm neither.  Another... "So what year are you?"...uhh I don't go here. "Oh, so where do you go?"...uhh I don't go.  And then I explain further.  It's not my intention for them to not know that I'm an intern and not a student, but sometimes that just how the ball rolls.  I've enjoyed so much getting to know these girls and their backgrounds.  Although I'm just in the beginning of developing relationships with them, I'm excited to see how God works in them in this semester! Please pray that Jesus is at the center of all of these relationships and that I trust that He is guiding my words pouring out His grace as I talk to them!

Last weekend we had a cookout to welcome the back students and reach out to new ones. The afternoon was full of food, desserts, sand volleyball, frisbee, and giant jenga! Thankfully the rain held off!




What's coming up:
-Dyeday Friday (Sept 7): This will be an event for girls to get together and fellowship over tie-dye!  We will be reaching in to find our inner hippie and indulging in some tiedye pancakes as well :) Pics are sure to come!
-RUF Beach Trip (Sept 8): Chuck and his family decided to invite all of RUF to come along with them for a day at Wilmington.  Pray for good weather! (sidenote: this will be my very first NC beach experience!)
-FALL CONFERENCE! (Sept 14-16): NC State will be joining UNC, Western Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, and Wofford for a weekend at Camp Greystone in Tuxedo, NC.  
-Every week we will be having freshman bible study on Monday nights, large group on Tuesday nights, other bible studies and fellowship groups throughout the week, and girls lunch on Fridays!


Life in General:
Sheesh starting life in a new city sure is hard.  I’ve never had to do it before and I sure am glad.  Don’t get me wrong, exploring Raleigh and finding my way around has been a blast, but I do miss home and familiarity.  Hopefully I will continue to get more established in Raleigh as time goes on aka find community and FRIENDS (if you are reading this and currently reside in the Raleigh area... Let's be friends!).  I still could not be thankful enough that I have a loving aunt, uncle, and cousins here who are such a big help to making this new city feel more like home.  Also, a few weeks ago I had my first visitors… which is weird to say because I feel like I’m still a visitor in a way.  These three great guys (see pic below) and I explored together, because I am clearly not well equipped (yet) to play hostess, and it was so good to see some familiar faces!  


Brian, Perry, Niles, and me



 Well, folks, God is surely already at work in the hearts of students all over this campus and I cannot wait to for Him to reveal His presence throughout the semester!
Thank you for all your prayers and support!


GIANT JENGA

Chuck, Ian, and me

1 comment: