Thursday, August 18, 2011

13/16 done with college.


As of today, I am 13/16 of the way though college (sidenote: I told a girl this today and she looked at me very confused, so I added, ‘my mom us a math teacher, don’t worry about it’.  Thanks for making fractions make sense, mom!).  I have finished 13 half semesters!  I’m not sure that’s something to be happy about though, because I sure don’t want to finish any sooner than I have to.  Such a bittersweet milestone.
Other than reaching that highly esteemed and fractional milestone, this week has been pretty routine.  I went to classes and tutorials, handed in a paper, went to library, the gym, ate some meals (including the spaghetti filled “kiwi pizza” pictured below), and prepared for the 2 week trip (which I am excited for, but anxious and nervous about) around the south island!  Tomorrow is my free-day Friday and I will be doing laundry, working on school work (to ease my mind over the break), and packing!




Yesterday, a girl at lunch got on a quick America kick and said that poptarts were AMAZING, but was so confused as to how we eat chocolate ones for breakfast.  I kind of just let her go on thinking that it wasn’t only the 6 year olds that ate the chocolate cookie dough poptarts.  Sorry that sometimes its more fun to give kiwis a slightly skewed perspective of America :)  Then, she marveled over the thought of a twinkie.

Unfortunately, Julius (the name that I gave my computer after it suffered, but lived through, a severe orange juice spill last January with only minor operations) will not be accompanying me to the south island for the next 2 weeks.  I decided that since it’s basically useless without this honking monitor and such, it probably would be happier left at peace on my desk awaiting my return.  I will keep a daily account of the things we do and see and I’ll be sure to write down everything hilarious that happens so I can report back.  I’ll be taking LOTS of pictures as well, but that’s a given. 

Here’s a list of some of the places that we’ll be visiting:
Christchurch
Dunedin
Invercargill
Fiordland
Millford Sound
Queenstown
Wanaka
Franz Josef
Abel Tasman
Nelson
Picton

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
            Phillipians 4:6-7



Interesting observations:
-sickbay=clinic
-stand-down=suspension
-NZ people pronounce “says” as if you put an S on the end of say.  That sounds really stupid written out, because that is actually exactly what the word is, but sound it out and it will make sense.
-ICE. Today I just realized that I haven’t had ICE since I’ve been here!!! I literally have not consumed one single ice cube.  It just hit me that we don’t have ice in the dining hall and the few drinks I’ve gotten at restaurants did not have ice in them.  This was so mind-blowing when I realized it.
-They don’t have free refills. Sad sad sad day.


By request, here are some short bios of Adam and Pep:



No comments:

Post a Comment