Monday, July 4, 2011

Life As A Slight Germophobe

(There is another new post below this one)


I am well aware that I am a slight germophobe, there’s no denying the truth.  It’s mostly people germs though, I’m pretty okay with nature germs.  This past week or so has been a rough one germ-wise.  Airports, airplanes, coach buses (those velvety seats… bleh!), public bathrooms, community style showers, A HOSTEL, public comforters, carpet that has been walked on by bajillions of people, wetsuits, rafting/caving helmets (AND boots), dining hall utensils, etc. I have faced, accepted, and gotten through these tough challenges by doing the following: never touching the bottom of my bags/backpack, wearing a jacket complete with hood anytime my head was going to touch the chair in the plane or bus, wearing flip-flops (aka jandals) in the shower, never not (ALWAYS) wearing shoes, not using public comforters, and taking a deep breath before putting on the wetsuit/eating from public utensils.  I wouldn’t want to be that snobby American who asks for plastic utensils, I only do that when I’m actually in America and am allowed to be that American. 
God made me the way he wanted to and I’ve learned to deal with it and embrace it!  That means buying disinfecting spray and then spraying literally everything in sight… the desk, desk shelves, drawers (inside and outside), closet doors, closet shelves, any part of the wall that may be touched in the next 5 months, doorknobs, curtain puller-backer thing, light switches, and the heat adjusting knob.  6 hours later… just kidding! It didn’t take as long as I thought it would, but it makes me feel a lot better! The housing people provide sheets and towels for us, but I wasn’t to excited about using their sheets so I and a friend (yes, a friend! I have friends!) picked some up from the WareHouse aka a very small Wal-Mart.  Everything is beyond expensive here so we got the cheapest ones, which were $20.  Side note: none of the packages included thread counts.  As I went to make my bed up, I pulled the sheets out and thought, ‘Woah! Who put sandpaper in the package with the sheets?!’ And then I realized that there was no sandpaper.  These sheets were the worst things I’ve felt and I could have sanded the chair I’m sitting in down to a tiny piece, and it’s not even wooden.  Sheesh!  I took a deep breath and put the university’s sheets on my bed and am going to return the sandpaper to the WareHouse asap.  Thank goodness I brought pillowcases!!! Maybe I’ll exchange them for a bedside rug!

1 comment: