Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Settling In A Little More

Well, my Wednesday tutorials have yet to kick off, so today was another free day for me!
I have been getting into the routine of a regular NZ “Uni” kid over here with class, assignments, readings, meals, etc…  There’s nothing special to report about my classes yet, except for the fact that they don’t EVER call roll! Not even on the first day!  Rest assured, I still will go to every class.  I hate thinking that I’m missing something that might be important.  I guess that’s the nerd inside me, but I’m totally okay with it.
On Sunday, I visited a church that was recommended to me by one of the Australearn leaders that I met at our orientation.  I visited the website of this church to find out how to get there and I noticed that on the homepage they had a number that you could text for a ride. What an awesome idea!  The not-so-outgoing version of me that I apparently left in the US would probably not have texted the number and just walked about an hour to get there or something stupid like that.  Instead, the more adventurous (yet still introverted) NZ version of me decided to text the number and the next thing I knew, on Sunday morning I was standing outside the University gate waiting for a “silvery blue van”.  Sure enough, the van showed up and took me to the church, all safe and sound.  Everyone there was SUPER nice, welcoming, friendly, etc, but the service was VERY different than what I’m used to.  Long story short, I met some AWESOME people that I will hopefully be hanging out with during my time here, but I think I will continue the church hunting!
ANDDD… Listen to this! I met a girl who did an Invisible Children screening tour around the southeast US.  She named some schools she went to, we played the name game (with very little hope in my mind that she would actually know someone that I knew, I mean I AM a bajillion miles from home…), and she knows one of my friends from high school!  HOW CRAZY IS THAT?!?!?!  Proven: the world is small.
The daily routine that I’ve become accustomed to usually ends with a trip to the gym.  Last night’s trip was a little extended due to some pick-up volleyball.  Generally at night there are leagues that use the gym to play basketball, netball (kind of like basketball, but without a backboard on the goal), soccer, and volleyball, but I saw some people who looked like they were just playing around, nothing serious and I thought it looked like fun.  So, I weighed the options… 
1) I go in and ask to play and they say no (that would’ve been really mean and I haven’t met a mean NZ person yet)
2) I go in and ask to play and they say yes
3) I chicken out and end up watching them (probably falling off the treadmill in the process), wishing I had the courage to go ask them if I can play. 
Obviously the more outgoing NZ version of me that I am here chose option #2.  I ended up playing volleyball with them for about an hour.  Such a good decision.  AND THEN I saw one of the guys in the library today and he stopped me and said that I should come every Tuesday at 7:30!  Yes!
The one thing I know that I definitely take for granted in the US is Furman’s dining hall.  The food here isn’t horrible, and it’s sure better (and less expensive) than buying and cooking my own meals, but there aren’t any other options than what they offer at each meal.  Some typical entrees are beef/cheese “pie”, fish, hot dog (aka corndog with sausage instead of a hotdog), steak, quiche, nachos, fries (yes, fries as the main meal), etc.  The sides are always corn, carrots, rice, slaw, and very long, thin, leafy lettuce that looks more like a decoration than a salad.  Thankfully I love the cereal at breakfast and have gotten into a toast phase.  The toaster here is like a ferris wheel!  It always helps to have amusing appliances right?  I have yet to BUY a meal in Hamilton, mainly because I can’t stand spending money when I can have food that’s already been paid for in the dining hall.  Let’s just say I’ll be in heaven when I go back to the DH at Furman :)

Funny Conversion:
NZ boy: “So like what do you do when you go out at home?”
Me: “Like at night or on the weekends?”
NZ boy: “Yeah, do you really go to those frat parties or whatever?”
Me: “Yeah we have frat parties in college…”
NZ boy: “Yeah well we don’t have frat parties, no megas and omegas over here bro.”

Interesting Observations:
-Someone described hockey players as “gummy-as”
-Porridge is NOT the same as oatmeal.  I found that one out the hard way.
-Stores here close around 5pm (expect the supermarkets and wal-mart type stores).
-There are no dollar-menus at fast food restaurants.  You can’t get ANYTHING for a dollar here. 
-My almost hit by a car count now equals 5.
-Their computer paper (8.5 x 11 paper in the US) is about an inch longer.
-There are only 2 rings in the typical binder, not 3.
-NZ people aren’t used to as much sugar as Americans are. 
-There is SO much American music over here!

I know this awesome experience will be over before I can even blink, but sometimes it feels like the days are moving slower than molasses and like it’ll be years before I get home.  I am a big homebody and it’s been somewhat of a struggle being away from my family and everything familiar back home, but thank you for the thoughts, prayers, and the supportive emails!  I really appreciate it!




I lift my eyes up to the hills-- for where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2


3 comments:

  1. You're so brave! Are the volleyball rules any different over there?

    I remember when the DH stopped letting people toast cookies b/c of people with nut allergies...so sad.

    What does porridge even taste like? Sounds like Little Red Riding Hood

    What's the weather like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the vball rules are the same over here!
    Why would you toast cookies anyway?
    porridge is like runny, soft oatmeal... kind of gross.
    the weather is like GA early November. It rained every day last week but this week has been full of sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To melt the chocolate chips...duh.

    ReplyDelete